When Water Damage Strikes
It is very important to take precautions when it comes to electrical circuits and water damages. Be aware of the do's and dont's.
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Within four hours of reviving a loss notification, the professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will be on-site to help ensure a water damage is handled by completing the following steps.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of the water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning the work.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal property and other contents, from further damage by extracting the excess of water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step-by-step.
To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to a appropriate industry standards, a professional at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently communicated with you.
Emergency Water Damage Tips
- Shut-off the water source, if possible or contact a qualified professional to stop the water source.
- Turn-off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe form electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Do not enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water! This could cause electrical shock or damage to the device.'
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
For more information on recovering from water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East by calling us at 717-519-0767.
From 1969 to 2020, SERVPRO Is Still Faster To Any Size Disaster
Plan ahead to ensure that you are ready for any size disaster in 2020!
Each new year rings the opportunity for new beginnings! Make 2020 a year to remember and resolve to be READY! SERVPRO of Lancaster East wants to help to ensure you a safe and happy new year by helping you be prepared for anything the year may have in store.
While we only hope to see good things come about in the new year, it is always a good idea to plan ahead for the not-so-good things-fire or water damage-that are always an unexpected and unwelcomed disaster.
Make your resolution one that helps protect you and your business. Call your professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East to learn more about how they can help you be "Ready for whatever happens" in the new year!
Celebrate Safety This Holiday Season
The top three days for home candle fires are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve.
Pretty lights, candles, and decorations are just a few of the items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday season-however, if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightening.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season.
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents, and candles.
- Make sure light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Always unplug the tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or before going to bed.
- Use only sturdy tree stands designed to not tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
- Keep anything that can catch fire-like pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains-away from your stove top.
- Designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Your professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East wish you a safe and happy holiday season.
Always Take Fire Safety Precautions
Be sure to take safety measures this holiday season!
Did you know cooking equipment is the leading cause of residential fires? As the holiday season begins and you find yourself in the kitchen more often while hosting friends and family, fire precautions should be top of mind.
A property owner experiences a flood of emotions when a fire ravages their business or home. Fear, uncertainty, stress, and doubt about the future of the property and their livelihood can be overwhelming to the property owner long after the flames have been extinguished and the smoke has cleared.
After the first wave of heroes have rescued the property, let your professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East help you restore it to its preloss condition. Combining rapid response, the utmost professionalism, and open communication throughout the entire job process, we strive to restore not only the home or business structure, but the customer's peace of mind as well.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers the following eye-opening statistics on structure fires.
- 482,030 structure fires were reported in the United States in 2018.
- These fires caused $9.9 billion in property damages.
- One structure fire was reported every 48 seconds.
If the unthinkable happens and a fire strikes your business or home, give your experts here at SERVPRO of Lancaster East a call. We will help make it "Like it never even happened."
When They Call You, Call SERVPRO
Contact us to help you get back into a clean home!
Mitigation requires quick action. The faster SERVPRO professionals arrive on-site to perform fire, smoke, and soot cleanup and restoration, the better the results- including lower claim costs. Within four hours of a loss notification, a SERVPRO professional will be on-site to help ensure a fire damage is handled properly by utilizing the following services.
After a smoke or fire damage, ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough cleaning. Your experienced local SERVPRO professionals will pretest to determine the extent of damage, then use the specific equipment and cleaning products required to clean and protect the different types of surfaces found within the structure.
All of the restorable contents in the affected areas will be professionally cleaned and deodorized. This included area rugs, furniture, draperies, and upholstery. SERVPRO of Lancaster East can provide wet or dry cleaning services. Additionally, all of the other restorable contents will be cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. This includes electronics, art, wood furniture, kitchen items, clothing, bedding, and much more. Finally, SERVPRO professionals can provide an inventory list of all "to be claimed" items for agents and their policyholders.
SERVPRO of Lancaster East provides specialized services that rid your insured's home or place of business of offensive odors left behind by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO professionals do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; they seek out the sources of the odor and remove them.
Why the Emergency READY Profile?
The ERP is available at all times at no-cost.
National Preparedness Month is the prefect opportunity to share the benefits of having a readiness plan in place with your customers, business, and family.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) will help ensure you and your business are "Ready for whatever happens."
In the event of an emergency, the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility. The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contact information, shut-off valve locations, and priority areas. The ERP is also accessible online using your computer or tablet; download SERVPRO's free READY Plan app to access this information at any time using your smartphone or tablet.
The ERP establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to more than 50 years experience and a system more than 1,700 Franchises strong. Knowing what to do and who can call in advance is key to quick response and timely mitigation. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster.
Preparation is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No on ever plans a disaster, but now, you can plan for it.
The ERP is a no-cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save a lot of time in the future. Call your professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East to establish your Emergency READY Profile.
Carbon Monoxide: A Silent Killer
-Shortness of Breath
-Loss of Consciousness
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide (or CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels, like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 400 American die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups-including unborn babies, infants and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems-being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes drying or idling cars left running in garages. Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk or carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips provided by the United States Fire Administration.
- Have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stove top to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueling engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other materials.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Only us barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or garage, even if the doors are open.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.
Be Alert with A Weather Radio
Learn about Wireless Emergency Alerts at www.ctia.org/wea.
One of the best precautions you can take is to purchase a good quality weather radio. A weather radio is designed to alert you to dangerous tornado situations, such as an approaching tornado. It allows you to be warned ahead of the approaching storms providing you time to seek shelter. A weather radio is the most reliable source for weather alerts.
Weather radios have made many advancements over the years and are very affordable. Most basic weather radios average around $30 and can be programmed to only alert you for weather alerts you choose.
When shopping for a weather radio, look for the following key features.
- Review-able alerts (you can scroll through alerts and turn off the siren for alerts you do not wish to hear).
- Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) alert programming (alerts when specific counties are threatened, ensuring you only receive alerts for your county).
- Ease of programming.
If you need help programming your weather radio, you can always contact your local National Weather Service Office for additional information, including county codes for your state, visit the NOAA Weather Radio website at www.nsw.noaa.gov/nwr.
SERVPRO of Lancaster East handles water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth.
When there's water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. Fortunately, the professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a "typical" mold removal process.
Call the Team in Green
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call your professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East. A representative will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
Inspection and Damage Assessment
Your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view.
Various containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the containment area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. The technicians at SERVPRO of Lancaster East utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while mold remediation is in progress.
Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Anti-fungal and antimicrobial treatments will be used to eliminate mold colonies from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to re-mediate heavy mold growth.
Cleaning Contents and Belongings
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, and other restorable items affected by mold. They use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings. They are also trained to remove odors and deodorize using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Lancaster East understands mold and mold growth and have the training and equipment to remediate mold in your home or business.
Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Clean Up
Our trained professionals are ready to help clean and restore your property.
Recognized as a leading fire and water clean up and restoration provided of hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Lancaster East professionals also offer fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to residential services and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can post serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations.
Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of Lancaster East can help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes, and offices.
SERVPRO of Lancaster East can help with the following issues:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
State and local regulations vary. Contact SERVPRO of Lancaster East today for 24-hour emergency service at 717-519-0767.