Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Cleaning- We Can Help!!
When restoring smoke-damaged materials, our goal here at SERVPRO of Lancaster East and Southern Lancaster County is to restore materials to preloss condition. Restorers apply the following basic principles of cleaning to accomplish this task. First, locate smoke residues by carefully inspecting the affected area. The inspection will start near the source of the fire and trace how far smoke moved through the structure. Then we can identify the type of residues. Different types of smoke residues can exist in the same loss environment. Our technician will select a cleaning method that will effectively remove the type of smoke residues present. Next- Identify the type of surface. The type of surface determines which cleaning methods and products are safe to use on that surface. We are very careful to preserve the material or surface being cleaned, although some materials may be un-restorable because they cannot withstand the cleaning process. Now it's time to capture and remove residues. Smoke residues bond with surfaces they contact. Our technicians use dry and wet cleaning processes to release and carry residue particles away from the affected surface. Lastly, we will properly disposes of debris and cleaning waste.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (717) 519-0767
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.