When Water Damage Strikes
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Within four hours of reviving a loss notification, the professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will be on-site to help ensure a water damage is handled by completing the following steps.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of the water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning the work.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal property and other contents, from further damage by extracting the excess of water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step-by-step.
To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to a appropriate industry standards, a professional at SERVPRO of Lancaster East will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently communicated with you.
Emergency Water Damage Tips
- Shut-off the water source, if possible or contact a qualified professional to stop the water source.
- Turn-off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building when access to the power distribution panel is safe form electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents, and other sensitive valuables to a dry place.
- Do not enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water! This could cause electrical shock or damage to the device.'
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
For more information on recovering from water damage, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Lancaster East by calling us at 717-519-0767.